Monday, May 20, 2013

[VIDEO GAME REVIEW] Mirror's Edge


I started and finished playing DICE’s Mirror’s Edge this weekend. It was fun, but also very frustrating at times. However, unlike games that frustrate me into quitting, Mirror’s Edge frustrated me into trying again, and again, and again. The story is too light, which I don’t feel has anything to do with how short the game is. A short game can have a super-deep story, and a long game can still have a wimpy plot.
The graphics are very nice, not just for a 2008 game but even compared to modern games. The clean, bright, colorful environments are a nice break from the mottled browns of your usual first-person action game. That’s why I was shocked when I saw my first cut scene. The story interludes look like a bad flash animation.  The facial expressions and detail of the characters when actually rendered in game by the 3D engine look much better than the flat animations. I have no idea why they went with that decision.
I got Mirror’s Edge for next to nothing on a Steam sale a while back, and I feel I got my money’s worth out of it.  Right now it’s selling for $20, which I feel might be a little high considering its anemic plot and short run time. $15 would be a good price for Mirror’s Edge, which explains why a lot of the reviews from when it came out fo $50 in 2008/2009 complain so much. If you can get it cheap, and enjoy a good try-die-repeat action game with a focus on speedy navigation instead of guns, I recommend Mirror’s Edge.

No comments: